Veera Thakur LLB(Hons)
Veera is a qualified solicitor and has over 12 years’ experience in immigration, asylum and nationality issues. She started her legal career working for the Immigration Advisory Service, as a Senior Immigration Caseworker, specialising in asylum and detention work and went on to be becoming a supervisor to a team of 8 persons at any one time. She later became a director of her own company which provided specialist immigration and asylum advise. In 2014 she joined a private practice in the south West of England where she headed the immigration team.
Veera advises on entry clearance, leave to remain and indefinite leave to remain applications, as well as those facing removals and deportations. She is an expert in EEA free movement rights of EEA nationals and their family members. She has represented clients in all areas of immigration in the First and Upper Tier Tribunal and is familiar in dealing with administrative reviews and Judicial Reviews.
Her work includes:
- advising businesses on obtaining sponsor licences, the steps that need to be complied with when employing foreign nationals and the penalties that can be imposed for a failure to comply;
- advising entrepreneurs, employees and students under the Points Based System
- providing advice and representation to clients in connection with potential claims relating to the Human Rights Act 1998;
- providing advice to family members on the viability and potential success of immigration applications;
- advising foreign nationals who have been convicted of criminal offences on removal and deportation matters;
- advising EEA nationals on Free Movement Rights as well as such rights as their non-EEA dependants may have;
- Advising an assisting on British Nationality and passport applications;
- Advising and representing asylum applicants;
- Representing clients at appeal hearings at the Immigration Tribunals
Joy Kyakwita LLB
Joy is an experienced Senior Caseworker with more than 10 years of representing people with immigration and asylum applications and appeals in the first – tier and Upper Tribunal. Joy is passionate about family immigration and asylum law.
She was involved in complex cases with the Home Office and court in asylum, family reunion and deportation while working with Immigration Advisory Service for more than 8 years where she was a Senior Caseworker, Supervisor and mentor to new lawyers and students. She is also a founding partner of Immigration Practitioners Service LLP, and appears on Uganda Vision on Ben TV, Connect Radio, Ugandan Convention UK and guest speaker in other community programs where she gives free immigration advice. Joy is described as a jolly and approachable lawyer who has experience of working with clients from all backgrounds.